Re: mSQL Attack/Peering/OBGP/Optical exchange

  • From: Kurt Erik Lindqvist
  • Date: Thu Jan 30 10:25:28 2003

I have received information on router utilizations, some routers it seems may have held up better then others. That information is useful. But I am working on some optical exchange point/optical metro designs and this might have a dramatic impact if one considers things like OBGP, Uni 1.0, ODSI etc etc.

A working hypothesis on the affect of this type of attack on a dynamically allocated bandwidth network (such as an optical exchange running OBGP etc) would have had a drastic affect on resources. All the available spare capacity would have likely be allocated out. So the "bucket" would have run dry. Understanding that exchange points of this type (or metro area dynamic layer1 transport networks) will manage the total bandwidth needs to always maintain adequate available capacity

The problem with ONI and MP<whatever>S models is that there is little or no correlation between the topology aware layers. You will most likely sooner or later end up in a situation where the layers will start to oscillate.

So, I would not build a optical IX around this model - if I would build a optical IX at all.

- kurtis -