routing between provider edge and CPE routers

  • From: Mike Bernico
  • Date: Wed Jan 29 14:01:29 2003

Hi,

I apologize if this has been asked before.  I work for an ISP that
started very small (hundreds of T1 and 56k customers) and has grown very
large in the last few years (thousands of T1 customers, as well as DS3
customers and OC3 customers).

We currently use an IGP to route between our distribution routers and
the CPE routers we manage.  This has historically worked very well. We
have recently begun running into scalability issues however.  We have
some distribution routers that have over 1000 T1 interfaces on them.
This is causing some problems with stability in that edge IGP.  Does any
other service provider use an IGP all the way to the customer for non
BGP customers or are we the only one?  I have a feeling we maybe are.

If you do use an IGP, have you had any of the scalability issues we have
had?  How did you fix them?

If you use statics/BGP to CPE routers have you had any issues doing
that?  In particular I'm wondering about the thousands of lines of
configuration used to make static routes work.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Mike Bernico