Re: Is it time to block all Microsoft protocols in the core?

  • From: Joe Abley
  • Date: Tue Jan 28 17:16:22 2003

On Wednesday, Jan 29, 2003, at 01:25 Asia/Katmandu, Joe Abley wrote:

On FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD and Darwin/Mac OS X (the only xterms I happen to have open right now) this is not the case, and has not been for some time. I presume, perhaps na�vely, that other operating systems have done something similar.
This is not right. Guess I was typing "man" in the wrong xterms.

FreeBSD (4.x, 5.x) listens to the network by default (and can be persuaded not to with a "-s" flag). NetBSD (1.6) does the same.

Darwin/Mac OS X and OpenBSD do not listen by default (and can be persuaded to listen with a "-u" flag). (Looks like Darwin ships with OpenBSD's syslogd).

Various people mailed me and told me that "Linux" does not listen by default, presumably for commonly-packaged values of "Linux".

Joe