Re: Blocked by msn.com MX, contact for MSN.COM postmaster ?

  • From: Karsten W. Rohrbach
  • Date: Tue Jan 28 09:42:15 2003

Miquel van Smoorenburg([email protected])@2003.01.28 11:49:16 +0000:

> I found out that our outgoing SMTP servers have been blocked by
> the msn.com MXes. In a nasty way, too -- no SMTP error, the TCP
> connection is simply closed by them immidiately after establishing it.
> We're not listed on any RBL/DNSBL and have an active abuse desk.

Miquel, does this problem still endure? I had such a thing quite a while
ago (mid-2002) with them, but apparently it was a temporary problem of
their MX in servers. I am also not listed in RBLs (due to pretty
restrictive relaying policy) and the like, I was also _not_ able to reach
someone at their end ([email protected]). After several hours of closed
sockets, everything just worked again.

Right now, our mail to msn.com goes via smtp-gw-4.msn.com(207.46.181.13)
which appears to work:
220 cpimssmtpa19.msn.com Microsoft ESMTP MAIL Service, Version: 5.0.2195.4905 ready at  Tue, 28 Jan 2003 06:09:46 -0800

Apparently their service runs on some successor of Win2000, so I
wouldn't be very surprised, if it turned out to be resource shortage on
their end (WRT things like The Worm Of The Week[tm] and the like).
A misconfigured proxy or load balancing device might be another option.

Also, their clock is off by approx. five minutes. Their system
apparently lacks NTP support, or the clocks in Redmond are 5 minutes
behind the rest of the world... :->
Oh no - not-so-funny - they got different clock drift for every
machine (cpimssmtpa[01..40].msn.com) that happens to pop up when
connecting to their best preference MX.
Looks like they DNS-loadbalance their loadbalancers for SMTP, too. Funny.

Regards,
/k[Ok-I-am-silent-now]arsten

--
> Motto of the Electrical Engineer:
>         Working computer hardware is a lot like an erect penis: it
> stays up as long as you don't fuck with it.
WebMonster Community Project -- Reliable and quick since 1998 -- All on BSD
http://www.webmonster.de/ - ftp://ftp.webmonster.de/ - http://www.rohrbach.de/
GnuPG:   0xDEC948A6 D/E BF11 83E8 84A1 F996 68B4  A113 B393 6BF4 DEC9 48A6
REVOKED: 0x2964BF46 D/E 42F9 9FFF 50D4 2F38 DBEE  DF22 3340 4F4E 2964 BF46
REVOKED: 0x4C44DA59 RSA F9 A0 DF 91 74 07 6A 1C  5F 0B E0 6B 4D CD 8C 44
Please do not remove my address from To: and Cc: fields in mailing lists. 10x