Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Mon Jan 27 16:27:19 2003

From: <[email protected]>

> unprotected are). For example, have a machine that had been broken into
and
> used to attack a company which lost $5M because of that attack, make
whoever
> owns the machine was broken into pay $5M + attorney frees + punitive
> damages. Suddently, the unprotected (for whatever the definition of
> unprotected is) networks disappear either due to the bankruptcy of the
owner
> or because it becomes cheaper for the owner to maintain those unprotected
> networks rather than face monetary penalties.

So, if I'm reading this right, user of Vendor L doesn't like Vendor M.
Instead of attacking Vendor M's software, the user just needs to make sure
Vendor M's corporate servers get infected and cause enough damage to run
Vendor M into bankruptcy from the resulting law suits?

What about the small mom and pop shop? Will you watch as an old family
business is run into the ground because someone didn't advise them properly
on handling security? There is such a thing as making penalties too stiff.
Many good businesses would be afraid to participate. Oh, wait. Never mind.
They'd have Internet Vulnerability insurance.

Jack Bates
BrightNet Oklahoma