Re: Level3 routing issues?

  • From: Matthew Kaufman
  • Date: Sat Jan 25 23:02:35 2003

> I've seen various references to this worm firing off and saturating
> networks worldwide within 1 minute... if *that* isn't scary, I don't know
> what is.  It shows that someone, with the right tools and enough vulnerable
> servers can take out a good portion of the Internet in seconds.  And how
> can we predict *every* possible issue and block it?

The good news with this worm was that the ports it used had low real utility
for inter-provider traffic. Compare and contrast to Code Red, where "block
TCP port 80" isn't such a great way to slow down the worm if you have any
customers who like to use "the web"

A combination of the speed at which this spread and a port nobody wants to
block will undoubtedly happen in the future, and be ugly, both.

Matthew Kaufman
[email protected] (home)
[email protected] (work)