Re: Level3 routing issues?

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Sat Jan 25 20:13:08 2003

From: "K. Scott Bethke"

> Well not everyone plays fair out there.  I imagine this is built into
SLA's
> too right?  "My network will be up as long as everyone is well behaved"

You know that customers won't behave. Prepare for it.

> I understand the evils, but are we really at the mercy of situations like
> this?  Of course we can firewall the common sense things ahead of time,
and
> we can jump right in and block evil traffic when it happens, after it
takes
> down our network but what sorts of things can we design into our networks
> today to help with these situations?

If a customer is infected, then the problem is on their end. The fact that
they don't have throughput is their issue, not that of the provider's. As
for collateral damage, proper monitoring of the entire network and early
warning systems allow engineers to hopefully stop the problem before it goes
critical. The spool up on this worm was massive and effected some networks
too fast to prevent them going critical. However, tracking and resolution
should easily have been within the SLA windows.

My policy: Hmm, I'm not sure. *ring* Dude, wake up. It's a critical outage.
The whole network is collapsing. Think! *rambles for 5 minutes* Oh, wait.
Never mind, I got it. Go back to sleep. Thanks.

Jack Bates
Network Engineer
BrightNet Oklahoma