Re: Level3 routing issues?

  • From: Jared Mauch
  • Date: Sat Jan 25 20:06:41 2003

On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 08:56:06AM -0800, Bill Woodcock wrote:

>     > > Dunno, arent they negligent?
>     > > In any other industry a fundemental flaw would be met with lawsuits, in the
>     > > computer world tho people seem to get around for some reason.
>     >
>     > Not true, look at cars and recalls. Also as I understand it MS
>     > issued a fix for this sometime ago - it the users who didn't implement it!
>
> Uh, lemme see if I get your argument.  People who buy exploding cars from
> Vendor M are at fault when the cars explode, since cars from Vendor M
> always explode, and Vendor M always disclaims responsibility, since
> someone usually points out in advance that the cars will explode?
>
> I'm not sure that your argument has anything to do with the law or with
> right and wrong, but in a sort of social-Darwinism sort of way, I guess
> I'd agree with it.  Except the herds of losers who still buy exploding
> crap from Vendor M don't seem to be thinning themselves out quickly
> enough.  Maybe they're sexually attractive to each other, and reproduce
> before their stupidity kills them.  That would be unfortunate.  Or maybe
> it's just that none of this computer stuff actually matters, so exploding
> crap isn't actually fatal.  Maybe that's it.

	Time for someone to fight the product liability included
in the 'shrinkwrap' licenses.

	I do believe that there should be some sort of
inital grace period for the software industry.. they are
well intentioned and not as old as the car industry.. but the
dire affects and lost sleep for some people need to eventually
be reckoned with.  The grace period should probally be over
now and the industry declared 'mature and liable' for shoddy
software.  If my car has a recall notice, i get a letter saying
"dear sir, your gas tank may explode if used.  please come in for
our inspection".  If they can keep track of those millions of cars
each year, at least somewhat, it should be simple to track who purchased
the software and send them a letter saying "get these patches now.."

	or perhaps they can do some agrement with AOL to include
all the latest patches in those CDs^H^H^HCoasters they send me.

	- Jared