Re: Banc of America Article

  • From: Jack Bates
  • Date: Sat Jan 25 19:31:31 2003

From: "Alex Rubenstein"

> Does anyone else, based upon the assumptions above, believe this statement
> to be patently incorrect (specifically, the part about 'personal
> information had not been at risk.') ?

Actually, the statements are correct. Remember, the worm wasn't programmed
to put the database or the security of the networks at risk. Of course, the
customer's information "could" have been at risk, but in hind sight, it
wasn't.

However, there is another possibility. BofA could have piped a portion of
the public network through equipment that sustains their private network in
a secure manner. However, a MS-SQL system (or a couple hundred) which
contained nothing of value was infected. The load created by the system was
enough to interrupt equipment along the path and effectively shut down their
private network even though it didn't have direct access. Example, I can run
IP through ATM switches. The overloading of the PVC could systematically
destroy the integrity of the ATM network which holds other ATM traffic. This
is still a secure model, although obviously not well engineered as proper
ATM CoS would have limited the IP traffic. Of course, ATM would be one
example. They could be tunneling IP over any number of protocols commonly
used by banks. In essence, only one piece of common equipment has to be shut
down to cause a problem.

Jack Bates
BrightNet Oklahoma