Re: DOS?

  • From: Iljitsch van Beijnum
  • Date: Sat Jan 25 19:03:34 2003

On Sat, 25 Jan 2003, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:

> > " Access list logging does not show every packet that matches an entry.
> > Logging is rate-limited to avoid CPU overload.

> either way, the logging for this, ESPECIALLY with log-input, is a
> dangerous proposition.

Are you saying that I shouldn't believe Cisco's own documentation?
Obviously, it's going to take _some_ CPU cycles, but I would expect the
box to remain operational.

> One thing to keep in mind is that the S-train
> platforms are different in handling logging than the normal trains...

Ok, I've been working with Cisco equipment for 8 years now and I can
configure them in my sleep, but all the version/image/train/feature set
is still voodoo to me. Obviously, the router caches the information it
wants to log for a while and then counts hits against the cache until it
actually logs. This should work very well, and it does as per my tests
on a heavily loaded 4500 router. So why would one type of IOS do this
right and another version that isn't immediately recognizable by the
version number as inferior do it wrong?

> possible and happily saturate it :( (Don't log on like a 7500 for instance
> if the packet rates are over like 5kpps...)

I think today's events show that CPU-based routers have no business
handling anything more than 1 x 100 Mbps in and 1 x 100 Mbps out. If a
box has 40 FE interfaces or 4 GE interfaces, at some point you'll see 4
Gbps coming in so the box must be able to handle it to some usable
degree.

> > There doesn't seem to be a noticable impact on CPU usage for a C12000
> > GigE linecard. Can you do Netflow rather than CEF on such a beast
> > without a performance penalty?

> One thing to keep in mind is that perhaps you don't care about the logging
> :) Just drop it and make your customers fix their borked boxes...

That's why I want the logging: to see which customer is spewing out the
garbage.  (-: