Re: New worm / port 1434?

  • From: Mike Tancsa
  • Date: Sat Jan 25 06:24:09 2003

From: "Mike Tancsa"

> Yes, I am seeing this big time.  Are you sure its SQL server ?  Thats
> normally 1433 no ?  Are there any other details somewhere about this ?

<snip>

All MS SQL servers listen to 1434 reguardless of the other ports they listen
on. Depending on configuration depends on what other ports it uses (due to
various security models), but 1434 is a constant in all configurations
according to a quick search and a read on the last MS SQL vulnerability
found in 7/2002.
Thanks, I have blocked the infected hosts in my customer colo space. Its an eye opener how much traffic they generate on the local collision domain they are on :-(

---Mike
Mike Tancsa, tel +1 519 651 3400
Sentex Communications, [email protected]
Providing Internet since 1994 www.sentex.net
Cambridge, Ontario Canada www.sentex.net/mike