Re: standard network symbols/icons

  • From: David Charlap
  • Date: Mon Jan 20 12:46:25 2003

[email protected] wrote:
Do any of the standards organizations (ISO?) have a set of icons/symbols to
represent network devices ranging from routers to servers to load balancers?
I've always used the basic Cisco and Juniper icons, but I'm being directed
to find something not associated with a vendor in *any* way, but prettier
than rectangular boxes.
I don't know of standards for this, but what I most often find in presentations is:

- Router: a cylinder with a 4-headed diagonal arrow on the upper surface
- server: a generic mainframe-looking rack
- host: a generic PC-looking computer icon

If you use PowerPoint 2000 (I don't about other versions), the "Networking" category of the "More autoshapes" dialog has several icons for various kinds of hosts and servers. Unfortunately, it doesn't include the router icon that I described above.

-- David