Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

  • From: David Howe
  • Date: Mon Jan 20 05:44:50 2003

at Monday, January 20, 2003 5:25 AM, Deepak Jain <[email protected]> was
seen to say:
>> What incentive does the end-user have to use secure systems?  Should
>> Microsoft, Sun, Sendmail Inc or ISC be required to send a technician
>> out to fix every defective system they released?  Why should the ISP
>> be held accountable for the defects created by others?  Car makers
>> have to fix defective cars, not the highway department.
> Without jumping into this discussion, I would like to make the point
> that if a car on the highway drops something... a pebble. a window.
> tacks. or any other item on the highway that is potentially hazardous
> or inconvenient to others who want to use that highway... the car
> manufacturer doesn't come out, the highway department does.
> As long as the car _moves_ under its own power across the highway, its
> essentially not the car manufacturers' (or the consumers') immediate
> concern.
I would assume though, that if a particular model of car were frequently
shedding dangerous fragments onto the road due to design flaws, the
highway department might expect something be done to fix the cars and
save them all that work and expense.