Re: Is there a line of defense against Distributed Reflective attacks?

  • From: David G. Andersen
  • Date: Mon Jan 20 00:56:01 2003

On Mon, Jan 20, 2003 at 12:25:27AM -0500, Deepak Jain mooed:

> As long as the car _moves_ under its own power across the highway, its
> essentially not the car manufacturers' (or the consumers') immediate
> concern.

  That's really not true.  Before car companies sell cars, they
pass (lots of) safety certification tests.  Before owners drive
cars legally, they pass a safety and emissions test.  Sure, the
highway folks clean up after the occasional tire blowout, but
there's been a lot of work put in to make sure that the engines
aren't going to drop out on a regular basis.

  If the Internet was a highway, it would be covered in burned-out engines.

  -Dave

--
work: [email protected]                          me:  [email protected]
      MIT Laboratory for Computer Science           http://www.angio.net/