Re: Operating on a "war footing" (was Re: Violation of AcceptableUse Policies)

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Jan 15 00:58:54 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, batz wrote:
> Not to nitpick, but the entire B92 AS disappeared off the network
> for the duration of the conflict about 2-3 weeks before the
> ceasefire. Weren't they disconnected on order of the police? (If
> memory serves).

They were up and down a few times, but mostly they were very vocal.  They
weren't a facilities based provider, so when the PTT shut off their
circuit they seemed to pop back up somewhere else several times.

> So, from what we saw the Internet fared fairly well in Belgrade, however,
> without IGP information, or pings of actual hosts, this is still up for
> debate.

Cheswick had some more data showing networks going offline througout the
conflict.

What was interesting wasn't networks went down. But how quickly people
were able to use whatever facilities which were still working to bring
up some service.  Satellite, fiber, copper, dial, etc.