Re: Scaled Back Cybersecuruty

  • From: Martin Hannigan
  • Date: Tue Jan 14 15:54:09 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Andy Dills wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Christopher L. Morrow wrote:
>
> > To start fixing this problem every ISP really needs some security folks
> > dedicated to customer security issues... These folks need to have the
> > ability to contact customers and shut off services until the problem has
> > been rectified.
>
> I'd be happy if every ISP had at least one competent engineer who cared
> about their job...
>
> Andy

Which ISP is terminating spammers and hackers? The bean counters
are looking TOS violations as revenue loss. I'd love
to see a bar chart of TOS terminations in the US from 1998
to 2003. Would we be surprised?

Is anyone surprised that SPAM became, and remained, a
problem, a DDoS in it's own right?

Trying to keep on the topic of infrastructure, the best
thing that Uncle Sam could do for us is to fund research
into new methods and procedures to detect infrastructure
attacks which help us to define operational procedures
on prevention and defense. Much like SPAM, we're not
going to win a war on these people. We can only detect
and defend. Perhaps countermeasures could fit in their
was well in the case of a grand attack.

I'd love to see a Operational security focused  list
sponsored by NANOG.

-M