Re: NYT on Thing.net (fwd)

  • From: Miles Fidelman
  • Date: Tue Jan 14 06:28:04 2003

On Tue, 14 Jan 2003, Paul Wouters wrote:

> > This is exactly why ISP's should not be allowed to have these "we will
> > disconnect you at our sole discretion" clauses.
>
> You can't forbid them. Private enterprises have (and should have) every
> right to manage their own business as they want. Just as it would be both

That's not true at all - private enterprises are subject to a myriad of
laws and regulations.

This is why ISPs should be treated as common carriers - just like telcos.
The primary characteristic of common carriers is that they HAVE TO serve
all customers except under very tightly controlled circumstance, like a
court order against on obscene caller.  Everyone is protected - the telcos
can't tell you who you can and can't call or what you can say on a phone
conversation, and at the same time the telcos are not liable for what you
say.  Common carrier status is typically associated with heavy regulation,
but it need not be.

The Center for Civic Networking 	    PO Box 600618
Miles R. Fidelman, President &		    Newtonville, MA 02460-0006
Director, Municipal Telecommunications
Strategies Program			    617-558-3698 fax: 617-630-8946
[email protected]	 		    http://civic.net/ccn.html

Information Infrastructure: Public Spaces for the 21st Century
Let's Start With: Internet Wall-Plugs Everywhere
Say It Often, Say It Loud: "I Want My Internet!"