RE: fast ethernet limits

  • From: Kristian P. Jackson
  • Date: Fri Jan 10 15:28:56 2003

Steve,

	What type medium are you using? If it is normal Cat5/6 then the
limitation is 100 meters for total distance and as you approach that
limit the signal degrades. That said, 100baseFX can run for 400 meters
due to the fact that it is fiber, both are part of the fast Ethernet
specification though. A repeater would boost signal, but perhaps a
switch in there might not be a bad idea, segment the 27 floors into
VLANs, reduce overall traffic traveling between floors and eliminate the
27 floor run.

Hope this helps,
Kristian P. Jackson