Re: Puerto Rico Peering Point, or existence thereof.

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Fri Jan 10 13:37:59 2003

Actually I know there was something of an IX starting down there about 1999. I believe it was in the small cellular companies facility. One of the guys from Netrail, Nathan Estes, went down to help them out for a week. The name escapes me but perhaps he could post it here if he recalls the details.

At the time they had about 6 muxed T1s if I remember and were looking at either bringing in a tier1 or getting a DS3 back to the states.

David

At 9:23 -0800 1/10/03, Bill Woodcock wrote:
      On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Ray Burkholder wrote:
    > Anyway, ATT has undersea fibre to Puerto Rico.  We want to get a DS3
    > into a Puerto Rico peering center where we can get connectivity to some
    > combo of ATT, Sprint, Worldcom, and T-Data.  Is anyone familiar with
    > such a location in PR?

I can say with reasonable certainty that one does not exist.
http://www.pch.net/resources/data/exchange-points/
is the list, and we don't have anything in there for Puerto Rico, which
means that there hasn't been one in the past, none presently that we know
of, none in the planning stages that we know of, and no unsubstantiated
rumors of one.

    > If not there, how about Florida?

As many people have pointed out, NOTA, the NAP of the Americas, in Miami,
is probably your best bet.

                                -Bill