Re: US-Asia Peering

  • From: William B. Norton
  • Date: Thu Jan 09 23:44:44 2003

At 08:14 PM 1/9/2003 -0800, Randy Bush wrote:

> Well, first I think we need to agree that there are two different cases here:
> 1) interconnecting IXes operated by the same party, vs.
> 2) interconnecting IXes operated by different parties.
>
> In the first case an IX operator can shoot himself in the foot, but there
> is only one gun and one person, so you can easily figure out why the foot
> hurts.

well, now we know you have ever had to debug a large L2 disaster
Randy - You snipped out what I said out of context. Below is the complete paragraph (and admittedly I should have said "relatively easily" rather than "easily".) The point is that I don't think we are talking about interconnecting switches operated by different parties, and I think you would agree that if it is difficult diagnosing problems with a single large scale l2 fabric, it is even more difficult with multiple administrative domains. That was the point.

Original Paragraph:
>In the first case an IX operator can shoot himself in the foot, but there is only >one gun and one person, so you can easily figure out why the foot hurts.
>In the latter case, there are more people with more guns. Without perfect >information distributed among the operators, this is clearly a more dangerous >situation and diagnosing/repairing is more difficult and time intensive. I believe >we are really talking about the first case.

Woody - I'd still like to hear about the failures "in every prior instance".

>> clearly, interconnecting their exchange points to create a richly-
>> connected Internet 'core' is a natural progression if their
>> customers don't complain too loudly.
>> not that it's a bad long-term plan...

>Actually, it is. It's failed in every prior instance.

Thanks.