Re: Trends in network operator security

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Thu Jan 09 07:56:26 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003 [email protected] wrote:
> Arent these more the attack trends of tier-3 providers and not network
> operators.

Maybe.  I don't see too many tier-1 network operators attacking other
tier-1 network operators. The trend I continue to see affecting network
operators is customer security incidents, i.e. compromised end-user
applications.

> Seems to me that The the real issues is when the tier-2 and tier-1
> infrastructure come under attack.  Otherwise these others are all at the
> applications layer - which so few on this list are interested in.

There are lots of interesting problems, but I don't know if 2003 is
the year.  DOS is just too much fun.

    Route hijacks/bogus origins
    Compromised infrastructure
    MLPS alteration