US-Asia Peering Research Request

  • From: William B. Norton
  • Date: Mon Jan 06 13:03:36 2003

Along a same lines... I'm working on the next white paper on "Peering in Asia" and I'd like to again ask for data points from the community. To start...

I remember back at APRICOT in 1999 that some folks (Dave Rand and colleagues maybe?) were talking about an initiative to provide an AP Peering Ring... To help with this research (as before I'll be glad to share the results with anyone who is interested) do any of you have URLs/Research Papers that show:

(1) How peering is done in the AP region today? I've heard generally of
a) the AP Mesh of 1/2 circuits between countries PTTs, and
b) the AP Country Peering Point(s)
but I'm curious if anyone has documented down deeper than that generalization.

(2) Past Initiatives for AP Region Peering (or AP-US Peering) that have succeeded or (better yet) have failed?

(3) Rough #s for Transit Fees in the AP Region. Several of you shared price points of $300-$400USD/Mbps for ~10-50Mbps, maybe $100 for 1+Gbps in Japan. If anyone has done a survey for the AP Region in general as I did in the past in the U.S. markets I'd love to see it. The U.S. curve for example seems to be a stepped function, starting at about $300/Mbps for a few Mbps down to sub $100/Mbps when you get towards the Gbps range. I'd like to hear what AP ISPs are seeing.

Thanks in advance and I'll write this up and let you know what I find out. As before, I'll credit the sources that provide the data points and honor anonymity as requested. Hopefully the end result with be of value to the community. Contact information below.

Bill

William B. Norton <[email protected]> 650.315.8635
Co-Founder and Chief Technical Liaison Equinix, Inc.
Yahoo Instant Messenger ID: WilliamBNorton