Re: COM/NET informational message

  • From: Marc Slemko
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 15:40:36 2003

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, just me wrote:

> Am I the only one that finds this perversion of the DNS protocol
> abhorrent and scary? This is straight up hijacking.

It is quite disturbing, you would think that the folks responsible
for two of the biggest TLDs on the net would appreciate that not
everything is about people typing things into web browsers and that
their smart-assed scheme has a variety of possible nasty consequences.

It is presumably all about them being able to market a whole bunch
of internationalized variants of domain names to earn more $$$,
regardless of the technical consequences.

And the plugin for IE they are peddling... take a look at the license
agreement.  http://www.idnnow.com/license.jsp  No use for commercial
purposes?  Automatic updates to allow them to take even more control
from users for their own commercial purposes at a later date?  No
thanks.