Re: COM/NET informational message

  • From: just me
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 15:28:14 2003

Am I the only one that finds this perversion of the DNS protocol
abhorrent and scary? This is straight up hijacking.

On Fri, 3 Jan 2003, Verd, Brad wrote:

  To improve this user experience and to encourage the adoption of an
  application that supports IDNA, VGRS is announcing a measure intended
  to stimulate widespread distribution of the i-Nav plug-in. Starting
  on January 3, 2003, some queries to the com/net name servers that
  previously failed with a DNS Name Error (NXDOMAIN) response will
  instead return an address (A) record. Any queries for A records with
  at least one octet greater than decimal 127 in the second-level label
  will trigger this A record response. For example, a query for the A
  record for "foo?.com", where "?" represents an octet with a value
  greater than 127, would return an A record rather than NXDOMAIN
  response. The goal is to match unrecognized domain names generated by
  browsers attempting to resolve IDNs. Since browsers construct DNS
  queries for such IDNs using UTF-8 or a local encoding, and since
  these encodings use octets with all possible values (i.e., from 0
  through 255), the presence of octets with values greater than 127 as
  described above can indicate a web browser's failed IDN resolution
  attempt.

[email protected]<darwin><
   Flowers on the razor wire/I know you're here/We are few/And far
   between/I was thinking about her skin/Love is a many splintered
   thing/Don't be afraid now/Just walk on in. #include <disclaim.h>