Re: COM/NET informational message

  • From: Steven M. Bellovin
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 14:44:04 2003

In message <[email protected]>, "E.B.
Dreger" writes:

>EL> Date: Fri, 3 Jan 2003 13:44:53 -0500
>EL> From: Edward Lewis
>

>EL> The DNS protocol is not 8-bit safe, much less any
>EL> implementations of it.  This is because ASCII upper case
>EL> characters are down cased in comparisons.  I.e., the
>
>My point is there's no need to force chars <= 0x7f if DNS servers
>are properly implemented.  If they're not properly implemented,
>why not, and whose fault is that?  Catering to bad or broken
>implementations instead of following standards is not a good way
>to ensure interoperability.
>
>DNS labels are encoded by a one-octet length representation
>followed by that number of octets, with no restrictions on the
>content of the octets.  Show me where an RFC says something to
>the extent of "labels and <any type of> RR MUST NOT contain
>characters >= 0x7f" that rescinds 1035.
>
>Yes, comparisons are case-insensitive.  So what?  strcasecmp()
>works on ASCII strings.  Now it must work on <new encoding x>.
>Why not let <new encoding x> be UTF-8, something programmers
>should support already?  Maybe MS-style Unicode encoding?  Why
>add yet another encoding?!

I'm sorry, but this is incorrect in many different dimensions.  The
subject was discussed exhaustively in the IETF's IDN working group; I
refer you to its archive for detailed discussions.  Among many other
things, your assertion about the simplicity of name comparisons is
wrong; see draft-hoffman-stringprep-07.txt for a discussion of that
issue.  As for 8-bit clean DNS -- well, apart from the many possible
ways to encode things, there's the issue of the many applications that
aren't 8-bit clean, including (per the RFC 822 spec) SMTP.  If "just
use 8-bit clean DNS" were sufficient, we'd have been there several
years ago.  See http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/idn-charter.html
for many more pointers.