Re: US-Asia Peering

  • From: Jeff Barrows
  • Date: Fri Jan 03 09:31:58 2003

> - Transit providers who came to the exchange point for the purpose of
>   picking up transit sales.
>
> - If the exchange point operator is the one carrying the traffic, they
>   lose for competing with their customers in the previous bullet; they
>   will have taken the first steps on the path from being an exchange
>   point operator to being a network-plus-colo provider (where they'll
>   compete with the network-plus-colo providers just coming out of
>   bankruptcy with all their debt scraped off).

  i'm still amazed that nobody has brought up the fact that a couple
  of the larger colo/exchange operators that claimed they wouldn't
  compete with their IP customers are indeed selling IP transit--
  intentionally undercutting the prices of the providers that colo'd
  there to sell transit partly because the colo/exchange operator
  kept telling the world that they would never compete with their
  customers in the IP transit space.

  clearly, interconnecting their exchange points to create a richly-
  connected Internet 'core' is a natural progression if their
  customers don't complain too loudly.

  not that it's a bad long-term plan-- but I do agree with Stephen
  in that it'll be tough for them to survive against the debt-free
  big boys if they emerge as clear network-plus-colo competitors
  and lose the few remaining bits of their 'neutral' facade.

 - jsb

--
Jeff Barrows, President
Firefly Networks