Re: Cogent and Level3 Peering Issues

  • From: Basil Kruglov
  • Date: Wed Dec 18 15:00:38 2002

On Wed, Dec 18, 2002 at 02:36:04PM -0500, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:
> > Why wouldn't Cogent create a community string to provide its multihomed
> > customers with prepend 16631 (or customer asn) to Level3 peering sessions
> > to control inbounds better?
>
> Me thinks Cogent doesn't have a problem with congestion on the inbound
> direction. Fix your reverse path.

Customers of Cogent should be/are more concerned about congestion on the
inbounds at Level3 <-> Cogent; outbound is way too easy to control.

If the site is multihomed to any decent Tier1 provider +Cogent; (701 or 2914
or 1239 or 3561 or 1, etc +16631) with or without prepend 16631 or site ASN,
a lot of, if not all of the inbound traffic will still be going through one
of those better carriers, fortunately or unfortunately.

All I really want is to be able to control my inbound from Level3 ;)

-Basil