Re: Cogent and Level3 Peering Issues

  • From: william
  • Date: Wed Dec 18 12:11:56 2002

AOL (AS1668) stopped peering with cogent yesterday for reasons they did
not disclose publicly. Cogent sends same letter to all customers who
asked for what is going on and in the letter they say that two weeks
ago, peering to AOL was upgraded to OC48 from OC12 and now for some
reason AOL stopped peering and if somebody has questions they should call
AOL to complain .. (with phone# to their NOC provided in the letter
- not very nice thing to do it like this in my opinion).

Afterwards direct peering to AOL was lost, cogent started sending out all
their data though Level3 (AOL upstrem), making them pay for that traffic and
because of amount of data the peering links got congested easily - PAIX
cogent->level3 peering in bay area for example had > 1 sec latency
yesterday afternoon. After I spent some time yesterday investigating all
that I found that actually cogent is only using former netrail (AS4006)
peering links to send data out to that is going to AS1668 and only some
of those links. On the other hand most level3 destined data from
cogent is sent through PSI links (i.e. 16631 174 3356).. So for me
currently I put up filters to route all AS1668 and Level3 data through
savvis for routes that look like (16631 4006 3356 ... ) and it works out
fine for now.

Today I'm going to deal with incoming traffic but the problem I had is
that I could not find AOL (AS1668) looking glass, traceroute or some other
tool like that. I checked traceroute.org and was very surprised that large
network like theirs does not have publicly available looking glass listed.
So those of you who peer with them - how do you deal with network
troubleshooting when you need to check soemthing from their network side?
If you know where their looking glass is - please send me a link!

P.S. If somebody is seeing level3->cogent route that is congested I'd also
like to know as this is something I have to deal with today as well. Send
this traceroute to me privately.