Re: FW: /8s and filtering

  • From: william
  • Date: Tue Dec 10 16:35:49 2002

Well, you can't easily multihome when announcing /23 or shorter but /24
will work fine for multihoming and that is why ARIN passed that policy.

What is true, however, is that some isps will filter even /24s on their
router, but in that case, there would still be a route to your netblock
from your upstream (they would be announcing their entire /19, /18 or
whatever with you as a customer getting /24 of that larger block and if
your direct route is filtered by an isp, next larger route that includes
your block that is not filtered would be used). And there are actually not
that many isps that really do filter /24 announcements (I'd say 1% but I
maybe wrong).

However that some ISPs do filter /24s, would mean that if RIR is directly
giving your an ip block it would need to be from the block where ISPs know
that RIR is giving out small blocks. Up until now ARIN has not been giving
any new small (/24 - /21) allocations, except micro allocations for
exchange points and in the micro-allocations (policy 2001-3) it is
specifically written that ARIN will do these kind of allocations from
specific blocks reserved for that purpose.

Now, however, that ARIN is discussing proposals such as 2002-5, 2002-6 and
2002-7 (with 2002-5 & 2002-6 most likely being passed within few months)
ARIN maybe put in position of assigning smaller then /20 blocks and that
is why I suggested on ARIN ppml mailing list that current micro-allocation
wording about assiging small blocks from specifically designated larger
blocks be made a separate policy that would apply to all small allocations
& asignments being made directly by ARIN. If you think its a good idea to
make this a policy, please do send your feedback to ARIN or bring it up
on ppml mailing list and then ARIN can work on this futher to make it a
policy.