Re: Spam. Again.. -- and blocking net blocks?

  • From: Allan Liska
  • Date: Tue Dec 10 16:10:58 2002

Hello Hansel,

LH> The SPEWS concept prevents an ISP from allowing spammers on some blocks
LH> while trying to service legitimate customers on others.  For an ISP - it is
LH> either all or none over time, you support spammers and are blocked as a
LH> whole (to include innocent customers).

Not speaking for or against SPEWS, but couldn't this eventually work
against people using the list?  If I were a spammer I would keep
signing up for accounts, and getting larger and larger blocks of IP
Addresses added to the SPEWS list.  Eventually, so many blocks would
be added to the list, that it would make SPEWS worthless.

Once SPEWS is worthless, people will stop using it, and the spammers
win.

allan
--
Allan Liska