Re: Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

  • From: Alec H. Peterson
  • Date: Mon Dec 09 11:20:28 2002

OK, clearly this discussion has mutated into a couple of discussions. I was under the impression we were still talking about a published list of /8 delegations, since all of the prefix filters I've seen operate on that level.

However, part of the discussion has mutated into how the RIRs should provide insight into unallocated space inside of delegations they have received from IANA.

There are several issues. There is the operational issue relating to people who have received allocations inside of 69/8 and cannot get to backbones who are filtering announcements from that block. I'd say it's safe to assume that the backbones who are filtering 69/8 aren't reading NANOG, so the fact that the operational discussion is happening here probably isn't doing much good to help Todd's problem. As far as how to fix that, somebody probably needs to find the right person at these ISPs and use a clue-by-four appropriately.

Then there is the registry issue of how to provide relevant information about which /8s belong to which RIRs. I respectfully suggest that people periodically query http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space for this information.

Finally, there is the issue of providing information relating to unallocated blocks within each RIRs allocations. This discussion is far more relevant to the registry specific mailing lists. I suggest those interested in discussing that join the appropriate ARIN mailing list. The discussion is happening on [email protected], though it is probably more appropriate to the [email protected] mailing list.

Alec

--
Alec H. Peterson -- [email protected]
Chief Technology Officer