Re: Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

  • From: Alec H. Peterson
  • Date: Mon Dec 09 11:04:55 2002

--On Monday, December 9, 2002 15:55 +0000 [email protected] wrote:

1. Missing data. Your solution does not show the parts of 69/8 that ARIN
has reserved or unallocated.
Are you telling me that people are really going to update their filters every single time ARIN (or any other RIR) makes an allocation?

2. Referrals. Your solution provides no referral to another source for
more detailed data. In another world, if I ask a .org server for
www.ipv6.org it will "refer" me to the ipv6.org server who will "refer"
me  to www.ip6.org. With LDAP we have a directory service that can issue
such  referrals and have them automatically followed to provide as
complete a  view as we desire.
The file has that data (which registry has which blocks). A simple search/replace can refer you to the next data source.

3. Not a crude hack. A UNIX shell script scraping data from a text file
that was created as a human-readable document is not my idea of a
directory service. We needed crude hacks like whois and RADB in the
beginning when there were no other tools available and we had networks to
build. But now we have lots of tools and technology available. Our
companies are probably all spending money today on LDAP directories for
internal use. It is becoming a standard IT technology and we should be
leveraging it rather than continuing with crude hacks for old times sake.
So put it in a perl script and make it look pretty. I'm just showing people that the data _IS_ out there, at least on the /8 level. If you want to wrap something fancy around it, write your own HTTP libraries to grab it yourself then go for it.

But the data is there, at least on the /8 level.

I would be very interested to hear how many people are generating filters for each and every allocation the RIRs make.

Alec

--
Alec H. Peterson -- [email protected]
Chief Technology Officer