Re: Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Mon Dec 09 10:06:38 2002
  • Reply-by: Mon Dec 16 09:48:59 EST 2002

In a message written on Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 07:58:29AM -0700, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> But Michael is not talking about the registries _contacting_ people with a
> message about changes in unallocated blocks,  he's talking about one
> specific regional registry providing a list of all unallocated space (that
> still 'belongs' to IANA/ICANN).

Right.  Suggest a way IANA could reasonably notify all the users.
I personally don't see one.  So, responsible or not, they have no
good way to notify people.  The registries have a way to notify
people.

I'm sure these two groups can work together.  Maybe ARIN, APNIC,
and RIPE can get IANA mail their user mailing lists.  Maybe IANA
authorizes one (or all) of them to publish a list.  That's up to
them to work out.

Point is, end users don't deal with IANA.  They deal with the
registries and for those in North America (this is nanog, isn't
it) ARIN is it.  As the communities desigated represenative to
interface with IANA, I feel it is ARIN's duty to collect and
distribute information from IANA.

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org