Re: Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

  • From: Leo Bicknell
  • Date: Mon Dec 09 09:55:56 2002
  • Reply-by: Mon Dec 16 09:42:57 EST 2002

In a message written on Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 07:29:58AM -0700, Alec H. Peterson wrote:
> Why would ARIN specifically provide such a list?  ARIN is not responsible
> for the unallocated space, and there is more in the world than just ARIN.
> There are liability issues with that, not to mention the fact that it is
> more an IANA function (if for the sake of argument someone would implement
> the list).

The problem here is that ARIN (and the other registries) are the
ones who can contact the users.

When these things change all ISP's need to be notified.  As much
as many people on this list think that every ISP in the world reads
Nanog it just isn't so.  Who has a list of ISP's?  Well, depending
on your view of things I think a good argument can be made that
it's either the list of everyone with an ASN (my preference, since
those are the people who's route filtering matters), or everyone
with IPv4 space allocated to them.

The only entity with either of those lists is the registries, ARIN,
RIPE, APNIC and soforth.  If the offical notice needs to come from
IANA that's fine, but it needs to go out to the list of members of
the registries.  IMHO it is there job to make sure IANA has a way to
send those sorts of messages.

--
       Leo Bicknell - [email protected] - CCIE 3440
Read TMBG List - [email protected], www.tmbg.org