Re: The magic security CD disc Re: HTTP proxies

  • From: David Howe
  • Date: Mon Dec 09 09:44:51 2002

at Monday, December 09, 2002 4:29 AM, Steven M. Bellovin
<[email protected]> was seen to say:
> Right.  The problem (and the point I was making) is that "secure" is
> context-dependent.  In some sense, the easy way to "secure" machines
> is to pull the network jack.  That's a serious DoS attack on yourself.
perhaps a portscanner, coupled to some sort of process scanner (loaded
with the common windows-based services, especially ones that come
bundled) and a simple checkbox list that lists all the services, what
they are (in relatively simple english) and allows the user to turn them
back on (defaulting to off) ?
Just sticking to windows would cover 95% of the potential users (if not
more) and make the disk much simpler to write.