Re: Operational Issues with 69.0.0.0/8...

  • From: Ralph Doncaster
  • Date: Fri Dec 06 16:33:37 2002

On Fri, 6 Dec 2002, Richard A Steenbergen wrote:

> If you're going to filter, it is your job to keep the filters updated, not
> ARIN's. Nor is it ARIN's job to move your blocks around every time some
> idiot doesn't accept it, or after you manage to get it blacklisted, or
> whatever. They need to allocate more space from 69 so anyone still
> filtering it wonders why they can't get to their latest porn site (no
> pun intended) and fix it.

People depend on ARIN's IP assignments being widely routable.  When 2
different ARIN clients pay the same amount of money for leasing an IP
block, the "goods" they receive should be of the same quality.

ARIN clients should have the ability to exchange defective "goods".  It
seems ARIN won't do this.  And posting to NANOG or similar lists doesn't
seem to fix the problem.  Sooner or later someone's going to decide to let
the lawyers deal with it.  I don't think ARIN's resources should be wasted
in the courts.

This type of problem is likely to spur interest in more regional
registries.  There's been talk of CIRA seting up a Canadian IP
registry.  This has been handled by ARIN took over the work UofT was doing
years ago.

-Ralph