Re: Networking in Africa...

  • From: Joel Jaeggli
  • Date: Mon Dec 02 13:26:27 2002

On Mon, 2 Dec 2002 [email protected] wrote:

> > Hello,
> >
> > A friend of mine is working on one of the committees for next years
> > Supercomputing conference and noticed that, in the past, they'd had
> > participants from most continents but none from Africa.  Does anyone
> > know of a good organization/group/etc which we could spam with our
> > conference notice and request for participation?
>
> Would that friend be so kind as to name more than a handful places in Africa
> with IP connectivity (multinational companies do not count).

Most major cities in most countries have at a minimum ip dialup services,
in major metropolitan centers there are now large numbers of wireless
isps as well...

A more interesting and germane question is how big is the number of
people/organizations in africa with hpc applications and how do your reach
them, since that is the subset of folks interested in attending super
computing.

> Alex

Joel Jaeggli	      Academic User Services   [email protected]
--    PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E      --
  resort of the scoundrel.  With all due respect to an enlightened but