Re: Risk of Internet collapse grows

  • From: Andrew Odlyzko
  • Date: Wed Nov 27 08:44:39 2002

	  On Wed, 27 Nov 2002, David Diaz wrote:

	  > I think this is old news.  There was a cover story back in 1996 time
	  > frame on  Mae_east.  We have to ask how likely is this with many of
	  > the top backbones doing private peering over local loops, how much
	  > damage would occur if an exchange point where hit?

	  It depends which exchange point is hit.  There are a couple of buildings
	  in London which if hit would have a disasterous affect on UK and European
	  peering.

	  What about fibre landing stations?  Are these diverse enough?  Again, most
	  of the transatlantic fibre (for the UK) appears to come in near Lands End.

	  Rich

There is not all that much diversity in many aspects of the
telecommunications infrastructure.  There are some interesting
pages prepared by John Young at Cryptome <http://cryptome.org>.
It is a nice combination of public source maps and aerial photographs.

Eyeballing Telephone Switching Hubs in Downtown Manhattan (10th July 2002)
http://cryptome.org/nytel-eyeball.htm

Eyeballing US Transpacific Cable Landings (July 2002)
http://cryptome.org/cablew-eyeball.htm

Eyeballing US Transatlantic Cable Landings (7th July 2002)

Full list of Eyeballing projects
http://cryptome.org/eyeball.htm

Andrew