RE: Even the New York Times withholds the address

  • From: Eric Germann
  • Date: Tue Nov 19 17:54:54 2002

To close this out, look for information on the Tennessee Valley Authority's
Racoon Mountain Pumped Storage Facility.  Take top off mountain, make
reservoir on top, drill shaft down to base of mountain, put generators with
discharge to a lower reservoir.  Its called a peaking plant.  Drain the top
reservoir during peak times and produce electricity.  Cool thing is, the
generators can be reversed and become pumps to pump the water back up the
mountain during off peak hours.

Without going into how fossil fuel fired generation desires to run at a
relatively constant level and has minimum loading requirements below which
it cannot stabley operate at, and hey you can't store the power, so they use
it off peak.  Unlike your house or our bandwidth, within the industry, power
costs fluctuate over the course of the day.  So they take advantage of it.
Closest thing to storing electricity thats possible.  Even though pumping
consumes more power than the falling water produces, the drastic cost
differential over the course of the day makes it economically viable.

On the flip side, their reservoirs are not hundreds of gallons, but hundreds
of acres.  One of the interesting design problems they had to overcome was
how to keep the top reservoir from swirling like a bathtub when all the
generators were online.  And when they open the rather large valves
(measured in tens of feet) for the tunnels, the mountain tends to shake. a
little, at least when you're in the mountain.

Fascinating place to tour.  It was about 15 years ago.  Don't know if they
still do tours, but the geek factor was pretty high if you're into that kind
of thing.  IIRC, they're somewhere in the vicinity Oak Ridge.  We took a bus
ride from ORNL to there for a day tour.

Eric