Re: Even the New York Times withholds the address

  • From: Mikael Abrahamsson
  • Date: Tue Nov 19 13:10:46 2002

On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Scott Granados wrote:

> Diesel can even exstinguish flame in some cases.  It is a much different
> anamal than aircraft fuel.

<http://www.ameriburn.org/Preven/Educator's%20Guide.pdf> is a nice
document describing the different properties of different fuels. I quote
some from it that seems relevant:

The flash point is the minimum temperature at which the liquid will give
off sufficient vapor to form an ignitable mixture with air. Gasoline is
very dangerous because of its low flash point of �45�F (- 43C).

Substance 	Classification* 		Flash Point 	Vapor Density**
Gasoline 	Flammable Liquid 		-45o F. 	3-4
Propane 	Flammable Liquid 		-156o F. 	1.56 @ 32o F.
Ethanol 	Flammable Liquid 		55o F. 		1.6
Methanol 	Flammable Liquid 		52o F. 		1.1
Turpentine 	Flammable Liquid 		95o F 		4.8
Kerosene 	Combustible Liquid 		100o F. 	4.5
Diesel 		Fuel Combustible Liquid 	125o F. 	>1
Safety Solvent 	Combustible Liquid 		100-140o F. 	4.8
Paint Thinner 	Combustible Liquid 		105o F. 	4.9

As can be seen here, you basically have to warm diesel to 125F before it
will burn, gasoline will immediately burn/explode at almost any
temperature seen on any habitable part of the earth.

I believe kerosene is aircraft fuel, and as someone said here it's not
that different from diesel.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]