Re: PAIX

  • From: David Diaz
  • Date: Mon Nov 18 13:51:25 2002

Title: Re: PAIX
Well... remember it's speed of light THROUGH fiber which isnt the same, its actually a bit slower then "c"

Coast to coast you should see 35 - 65ms depending on the route.

We've all had this thread about router overhead.  If there is a congestions point in the middle with buffering and traffic level priorities running, then you are right.  Otherwise I dont think you should see 150-180ms.

In the real world however, yes, off several dsl links Im seeing those levels to various sites, I think it's more a factor of congested peering links or traffic aggregation at a hub.  People arent spending the money to upgrade links right now.

At 10:13 -0800 11/18/02, Jere Retzer wrote:

Stephen Sprunk wrote:

>>>Any point in the US is within 25ms RTT (or less) of a major exchange; eliminating this 25ms of latency will have no effect on VoIP unless you're already near the 250ms RTT limit for other reasons.<<<

25 MS is assuming that the only delay is due to the speed of light. Add equipment, especially routers or other gear that requires manipulating packets and the delays add up quickly. I once read that the most people wil tolerate on a regular basis is around 150-180 ms. I think that is much too high for regular use

--

David Diaz
[email protected] [Email]