Re: PAIX

  • From: Petri Helenius
  • Date: Sat Nov 16 07:22:07 2002

- While we're on the topic of local video, what happens when
television migrates to IP networks?
Why should it? There's a cheap, ubiquitous, widely deployed broadcasting medium already. I never understood network integration for the sake of network integration.

That medium only works for large audiences. It does not address geographically
large sparse audiences at all.

In any case, TV (of all things) does not have problems with latency or
jitter below 10s of seconds.  All TV content is pre-packaged.

Live events and interactive show's are not. In some cases you start to suffer if your
latency goes to multiple-seconds range. That's quite rare anyway, >500ms
network latency is quite rare and add few hundred codec and de-jitter latency and
you'll find that excessive jitter is your enemy, not the latency itself.

Pete