Re: PAIX

  • From: Vadim Antonov
  • Date: Sat Nov 16 05:37:23 2002

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002, Jere Retzer wrote:

> Some thoughts:
>
> - Coast-to-coast "guaranteed latency" seems too low in most cases that
> I've seen. Not calling CEOs and marketers liars but the real world
> doesn't seem to do as well as the promises. As VOIP takes off "local"
> IP exchanges will continue/increase in importance because people won't
> tolerate high latency.  What percentage of your phone calls are local?

Who cares? Voice is only 56 or so kbps. Just give it absolute queueing
priority, and suddenly you have negligible jitter...

> - Yes, we do various kinds of video over Internet2.

People are doing various kinds of video over Internet 1; works fine.

> - While we're on the topic of local video, what happens when
> television migrates to IP networks?

Why should it?  There's a cheap, ubiquitous, widely deployed broadcasting
medium already.  I never understood network integration for the sake of
network integration.

In any case, TV (of all things) does not have problems with latency or
jitter below 10s of seconds.  All TV content is pre-packaged.

--vadim