Re: PAIX

  • From: Jere Retzer
  • Date: Fri Nov 15 19:10:26 2002

Some thoughts:

- Coast-to-coast "guaranteed latency" seems too low in most cases that I've seen. Not calling CEOs and marketers liars but the real world doesn't seem to do as well as the promises. As VOIP takes off "local" IP exchanges will continue/increase in importance because people won't tolerate high latency.  What percentage of your phone calls are local?

- Yes, we do various kinds of video over Internet2. Guess what? Packet loss is very important. Fewer hops mean fewer lost packets. Local exchanges, if there were lots of them with lots of peering reduces the theoretical number of hops. Who will most of the videoconferences involve in the future — I think mostly people who see each other face-to-face periodically. Leading this are telework and telemed. Broadband is getting to the point that people will want to call up their doc/clinic rather than jump in the car just to be told to go home and go to bed, and get exposed to someone who has a contagious disease. Nursing homes, assisted living facilities, emergency rooms in mall towns should be key targets for this technology.

- While we're on the topic of local video, what happens when television migrates to IP networks?  Seems like the "local" news should want to originate somewhere close. Most of our local TV and radio stations are part of chain today and their corporate headquarters have decided to host their web site at a central location without even worrying about Akamai or other local caching.

- Unfortunately, these applications do not work with today's local broadband networks — one reason being the lack of local interconnection. People have quit believing the Radio Shack ads. We have the technology to make these applications work if we'd stop arguing that no one wants to use them. Of course no one wants to use them — they know they won't work!

>>> David Diaz <[email protected]> 11/14/02 05:52PM >>>

Voice of reason...

The only possible reason I can think of is if these data networks
replace the present voice infrastructure.  Think about it, if we
really all do replace our phones with some video screen like in the
movies, then yes, most of those calls stay local within the cities.
Mom calling son etc etc

So we can think of these "peering centers" as replacements for the
5-10 COs in most average cities.

Otherwise what apps require such dense peering.