Re: Blocking specific sites within certain countries.

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Nov 14 20:43:55 2002

-- On Thursday, November 14, 2002 6:01 PM -0500
-- [email protected] supposedly wrote:

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 17:26:21 EST, "Patrick W. Gilmore"
<[email protected]>  said:

Not if you block the domain name terrorist.com from resolving at the
caching name server, only if you block the IP address to which is
resolves  on your routers.  (Which in many cases will be an Akamai
server inside your  network - if not, just ask. :)
http://a1016.g.akamai.net/f/1016/606/1d/(rest deleted)

So tell me again how you're going to filter a1016.g.akamai.net?  And how
you're not going to piss off the OTHER sites on that server? (Yes, I know
that the virtualized hostname is down in the (rest deleted) part of the
URL - is that what you want to try to filter in a firewall? Especially
when the name could (and probably will) be % encoded or whatever?
Well, believe it or not, you can filter on aXXXX. :)

But more importantly, no user is ever going to type "aXXX.g.akamai.com/foo/bar/etc...". They are going to type "www.ticketmaster.com", which is a CNAME for aXXX. If the ISP's name server filters the "ticketmaster.com" domain, your random luser is not going to be able to get to www.ticketmaster.com.

Or are we simply assuming that all terrorists are dumb enough to not know
how to use a proxy? (Remember that we *are* worried they're smart enough
to use strong crypto...)
I did not think this is about stopping terrorists from getting to special sites. I thought this was about a government censoring its citizens from seeing "bad" web sites. Which is a Bad Idea IMHO, but I doubt the Spanish government cares what I think.

Besides, what's to stop Joe User from using a public proxy outside his country? :)

				Valdis Kletnieks
--
TTFN,
patrick