Re: PAIX

  • From: william
  • Date: Thu Nov 14 18:12:13 2002

Its possible/likely that what Paul is saying may happen, but it requires
a lot of locality-specific high-bandwidth applications (none exist now or
in demand now) and technologies that make it possible (cost-effective) to
manage such complex peering network for a very large network

Maybe 10 years from now some of this maybe true but I see a more likely
scenario that large ISPs will be also application/broadcast providers
(i.e. like AOL, MSN) or otherwise affiliate with one of large broadcast
networks. All these large providers more then likely will see a need to
put local application serving & broadcasting stations in each city (like
mirrors or broadcast<->unicast trancievers, etc) to make it worth while
for their subscribers in that city to make most advantage of those
services, however same companies may NOT want the subscribers to access
another network's system (direct competitors) and this unfortunetly will
result in them not wanting to provide 0-latency interconnect to another
network, so more then likely there would not be a peering exchange in
every city.

Of course, I'm just speculating on something that is far, far ahead ...