Re: Blocking specific sites within certain countries.

  • From: Patrick W. Gilmore
  • Date: Thu Nov 14 17:28:12 2002

-- On Thursday, November 14, 2002 4:52 PM -0500
-- [email protected] supposedly wrote:

On Thu, 14 Nov 2002 12:11:14 EST, Jim Deleskie <[email protected]>
said:
Its my understanding that since Akamai is based on DNS resolves if you
where to use the method of blocking it within the DNS system it would
make no difference. Although I'm no Akamai expert.
The Akamai gotcha is that if you block www.terrorist.com, where
terrorist.com points to an Akamai server, you *ALSO* break the 4,934
*other* websites that happen to have content on that same server.
Not if you block the domain name terrorist.com from resolving at the caching name server, only if you block the IP address to which is resolves on your routers. (Which in many cases will be an Akamai server inside your network - if not, just ask. :)

--
TTFN,
patrick