Re: all the mails on Filtering

  • From: Harsha Narayan
  • Date: Wed Nov 13 13:48:23 2002

Hi,
  But it appears that there are many cases where customers prefer to take
a prefix from the ISP rather than an RIR even if it is a /19 or a /20 -
for example from the /11 of a big ISP, there are 50 /19s and /20s which
are multihoming assignments.

  I was told that this saves the cost of RIR membership for the customer.

  Moreover, how do we know the RIR makes multihoming assignments from a
separate /8 - atleast in the case of RIPE it does not I think (in the case
of APNIC it does). If we are of sure of this - i.e. that a multihoming
assignment from an RIR comes from a separate section of the address space
- we can't filter.

Harsha.