Re: Breaking Stuff by Fixing NAT

  • From: Eliot Lear
  • Date: Mon Nov 11 19:46:43 2002

Crist J. Clark wrote:

But there are still management reservations, the only reservation we
do not have a good answer for is the (arbitrary) claim that turning
off NAT may break stuff for customers who depend on it. Now we have
customers that do some pretty messed up stuff, and everybody knows
about various commercial apps that do really, really messed up stuff,
but none of us can think of anything that turning NAT off will
break. But perhaps all of our minds are just too cluttered with all of
the weird stuff that turning off NAT will allow to _work._
I have to admit a certain amount of amusement when I read this.

In general you should be okay. The things that could break are likely those things that have IP addresses hardcoded. None of the following checks is any different than what you would do to renumber a network.

So, check your access lists on your routers, check any UNIX configuration files, as well as any SSL certificates that were somehow gotten with 10/8 addresses. Also, if you do H.323, check your gateway configurations. Users that make use of personal firewalls may have some minor complications along these same lines, particularly if servers are changing addresses.

The one change that you should be mindful of is this: if the company *was* relying in some way on security through obscurity, you may need to add a few additional protections, particularly if you want to prevent peer-to-peer access, such as Gnutella. Make sure that you have a real firewall in place, as you should have before ;-)

Regards,

Eliot