DNS timeline corrections

  • From: Sean Donelan
  • Date: Wed Nov 06 21:56:27 2002

I received some corrective input at the last Nanog meeting concerning some
events on my DNS timeline (http://www.donelan.com/dnstimeline.html) from
people who were there.

I missed NIC.NORDU.NET as the first root name server outside the USA.
Although I can't identify the precise date it was added to the root
list.  I took most of the dates from the namedroppers mailing list
archives.  Other corrective input is welcome.

Also I noticed the change to the root server list on November 5 2002 was
the first root server change since Dr. Postel died.  Here is a copy of Dr.
Postel's previous root server change announcement in August 1997 about
bringing up M.Root-Servers.Net in Japan.

http://ops.ietf.org/lists/namedroppers/namedroppers.199x/msg02852.html